Re: [Harp-L] Rack

This topic pops up from time to time on the lists. I can't recall if I posted this here or elsewhere.

My biggest problem with racks, other than being so uncoordinated as to be unable to play using one while doing ~anything~ else, is that none I've tried fit me very well. They always forced me to crank my neck into a very uncomfortable position or to get used to being unable to approach the racked instrument straight on, forcing me to severely modify my embouchure. These problems kept me from even trying to do much of anything with racked playing. That was until Gary Lehmann posted a video about a clever modification in which he splices two K&M racks together. His set-up allows much more freedom in placing the harmonica precisely where you want it.

http://youtu.be/t3b7H9SbqNQ

Gary's mod retains the nice features of the single K&M rack (sturdy build, positive locking knobs, strong grip on the harp, etc.), while allowing you to position the harp where ~you~ want it instead of where the rack wants it. I call it a poor man's Ergonomic Rack (after Vern's design).

If you look at Rockin' Ron's rack page (http://rockinronsmusic4less.com/content/harps/accessories/harp_holder.php), you'll see several K&M racks. The two of interest are the models 415 & 416. You can choose any combination of these two racks for Gary's mods (the business end of one rack becomes the harmonica holder and the other becomes the neck hoop with its adjustable extension). The principle difference is the type of the actual part that grips the harps. My preference is the 415 holder as it has little pins that keep the harp in a more positive locked position than the 416 which omits these positioning pins.

The only downside is that the GL spliced rack is pretty big when "unfolded" and it doesn't fold flat. These limitations mean that the rack is going to take much more space in your gig bag than the silly "coathanger" models you've probably long suffered with. Oh well, you can't have everything.

BTW, my efforts at racked playing are focused at accompanying my harp playing with rhythm bones. Right now, I'm working on one-handed bones, which is my preferred method. I may graduate to accompanying myself with two-handed bones if I ever feel like I've reached some level of proficiency with one-handed bones while playing my racked harp, which may never happen...

Thanks to Gary for sharing his ingenious modification! Works quite well for me.

Michelle