Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Hoodoo Box 5W amp and Madcat shaker mic or Ultimate mics

Sridhar Rajagopalan wrote:
<Thanks Mike. And I am in luck Richard. Because I haven't bought the Horner
<yet but was looking for a 5w tube amp in that price range. What would you
<suggest?

The LHT Special 6 is getting a lot of attention lately.  It has a 10" speaker, which makes it louder (bigger speakers move more air) and deeper (bigger speakers project more bass) than an amp with an 8" speaker, which is what you usually find in a 5W amp.  it's also almost $100 less than the Hohner.  See this post at my site:
http://www.hunterharp.com/a-new-contender-for-low-watt-tube-amp-king-vht-special-6/

The fender Vibro Champ XD is worth a look too:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/fender?fA=a&fI=2002&fV=site1H#fT=2002:site1H&gP=2&pS=20&v=g&sB=pLH&lP=b&brandId=984&site1H

Crate is apparently no longer in the business of making tube amps.  But if you can find a Crate V8, VC508, or Palomino V8 (all of which have the same electronics) in good condition, it's a good amp for a good price.  I own a modified Crate VC508 and love it. Paul Messinger with Climb Jacob's Ladder uses a VC508 as the front end to his stage rig, and he told me that he and Joe Filisko recently A/ B'd it with a Fender Champ, and preferred the Crate to the Fender.  I saw a VC508 selling used in very good condition on eBay two weeks ago as a Buy It Now for less than $140.  Pretty good deal.

Finally, I haven't mentioned anything but tube amps here.  If you want a wider range of sounds, consider a small keyboard amp coupled with a Digitech RP device and one of my patch sets.  A peavey KB2 keyboard amp, which is roughly as big and loud as a 15W tube amp, with a Digitech RP155 retails at about $350 new, and my patch set for the RP155 will bring that to $375.  That's not a lot more money, and it's definitely a lot more sound for the money.  You can find Digitech RPs used in good condition pretty easily, which also reduces the price.

See this post:
http://www.hunterharp.com/whats-the-best-choice-for-your-first-amp/

Good luck and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"