RE: [Harp-L] sonnyjr amp cost

Scott Hicks wrote:
<I haven't done any specific comparisons but I would guess that Sonny Jr amp would not depreciate as quickly or <as much as many mass-produced amplifiers, so they probably do hold their value and depreciate less than others. <As an example, Toyotas tend to hold their value more than Kias -- they depreciate but not as quickly. As for the <1990 Bassman, in truth, that didn't hold it's value either. For one, it surely wouldn't have sold for $650 right <after purchase, and more than likely lost value over the next few years, before climbing back to the purchase <price. But in actuality, $650 today does not equal $650 in 1990, so the reality of it is than the amp is still <worth less than it was when new.
<What remains to be seen is whether used Sonny Jrs. will climb back up in value after some time. To use another <automobile analogy, classic muscle cars have gone through the roof in value, because they were great cars, are <no longer made, and are not in great supply. One day, those same three criteria will apply to Sonny Jr. amps.

This is a convincing argument to me.  I'd just like to point out that the best reason to buy an SJ is that it's a high-quality harp rig that sounds great, not that you think it's going to be a worth a zillion bajillion dollars some day.

FYI, one of my wife's uncles was a noted collector of Renaissance art, good examples of which tend to be priced higher than a Sonny Jr. (and they're definitely not making any more renaissance art).  I asked him once if he had any advice for a collector, and he said "Buy art that you like."  The same applies to instruments, I think.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick