Re: [Harp-L] Special 20 mods

Mike,

I also recommend Richard Sleigh's material to you; his book, but also
YouTube videos, and nuggets from his website.

I can promise you amazement at the increase of responsiveness you can
achieve quickly without embossing slots or needing tools, other than what
you gap reeds with and need to disassemble/assemble your instrument. If
your style of play doesn't require further tighter control and delicacy,
you may never emboss your harp.

Embossing, in my limited experience, can be a step backwards if a performer
is (struggling for words, here) is robust and vigorous in their playing -
likes to play the harp really hard. Extra care needs to be taken to keep
the harp free of mouth debris, mucous and such, and dry them immediately
and well after use.

The customization one absolutely incredible world-class musician, at the
time I met him a few years ago, was pretty much just gapping the reeds for
his style of play. He played the diatonic harp chromatically, was very
dynamic, all without embossing, psuedo-annealing, carving grooves in the
plate, etc. I guess the "long-winded" point is, you  can probably
accomplish your responsiveness goals fairly easily and quickly to your
satisfaction without buying additional equipment.

So, let Richard's book and multi-media material help you with fitting your
reeds and guide your gapping. If you want to tune your harp, Mr. Sleigh's
book gives you the info you need and he has bundled essential tools you can
purchase with reed tools sized for Hohner reeds. Please shoot us an email
with your experience.

-Michael