Re: [Harp-L] Re: solo harmonica competition

Design the contest however you prefer.  You will always be testing
different skills as you change the way in which the contest is conducted.

This idea is applied in the bluegrass world to the stringed instruments
with similar results.  For example:

   1. If the judges are facing the stage and can see the contestant, they
   may judge by what they see as well as by what they hear and can be put off
   or impressed by the stage performance.  If showmanship is part of the
   judging, this is a good idea.  If only the playing is to be judged, then it
   may be a better idea to have the judges face away or listen in a secluded
   room.  In the case of harmonicas, this would also prevent someone from
   being overly impressed by the way in which someone switched harmonicas or
   overblew to get extra notes.
   2. When players of any instrument play solo, they may have an
   opportunity to exaggerate their timing more than when they have an
   accompanist.  Of course, some exaggerated timing may actually be a sign of
   an inability to keep time, which is true with many harmonica players, so
   playing with an accompanist will help them rather than hurt, and any
   intended exaggerations would need to be planned (and so obviously
   intended).  Anyone who cannot keep time or fails to listen to their
   accompanist would then be obvious.
   3. Accompanists can hurt their contestants if they, themselves, are not
   good musicians or they play too much in backing their contestant, hurting
   their contestant's performance.  You can include a judgement on the
   accompanist in the ratings or remarks when you judge the contestant's
   performance.
   4. Solo performance is unnerving to many.  You often will get better
   performances when they have someone to lean on, like their accompanist.
   Simply having someone else on the stage keeping time can help them perform
   better.

If you wanted an all-around contest you could include the following
features:

   1. one solo performance: choice
   2. one solo/accompanied slow song  (melodic or obvious melody preferred)
   3. one solo/accompanied fast song   (melodic or obvious melody preferred)
   4. one show-stopper (where the showmanship is demonstrated) where the
   judges would have to turn around to see the performance

Most instrumental contests have some version of the first three (one slow,
one fast, one choice -- with the option to have an accompanist or play
solo).  That gives the choice to the contestant and removes the
responsibility of whether it was fair or unfair from the judges.  Some also
put the judges out of sight which cuts out the subjective stage presence
('and he's so young', 'and she's really cute when she plays', etc.) which
sometimes plague contests.  If the contestants only have numbers and no
names and do not announce their own tunes, then you can keep a certain
amount of anonymity for the contestants until the results are tallied --
another plague for contests.  (One contestant I accompanied won her
contest, beating a better, more skilled player.  The other player played
plain standards very well and took 2nd.  She played difficult tunes to the
best of her ability, but she was barely an intermediate player, and took
1st.  However, the judges knew she had only been playing for a short time.)

When you play a contest, you are gambling that whatever you have to show
that day will be what the judges were seeking.  If you can surprise the
judges, you may appear to have an unfair advantage or you may shoot
yourself in the foot.  Nothing is carved in stone.  Yesterday's champ can
be today's second run.  So it may not be constructive to worry too much
about how to make the contest fair beyond the obvious.  Just do the best
you can to limit undesirable influences to the judges and give the players
the option on how they wish to present themselves musically.  State the
rules and intentions up front so that the players have an idea of what will
be expected by the judges and let them find a way to meet them.

Cara Cooke
http://harmonica2.tripod.com
http://manchacaallstars.tripod.com