Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic and Diatonic harp volume....

Because a slide must have some clearance to work, the chromatic has a source of leakage not present in the diatonic.  As the precision of the slide increases, for instance in the Renaissance or Saxony, the loudness of the chromatic approaches that of the diatonic.

You can greatly improve the loudness and responsiveness of a 270 by shaving/filing the U-channel of the slide to reduce the clearance to about .002" This is a tricky procedure but several harmonica techs can do it for you.  It is described in Tate's and Schackner's books.   As they come from the factory, slide clearances in the 270 vary from about .004" to .007."  IMO, this is the only effective modification for improving the performance of the 270.

I believe that it is not the leakage of breath that affects loudness. I think that the leakage dampens the resonance of the player's embouchure.  In very simple terms it is not so much the loss of air as it is the loss of the sound.

While water fills the clearances of a wet slide, you notice an improvement in loudness and responsiveness that you would like to keep.  Alas, it goes away as the slide dries out.

Vern