From: Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mike Rogers <bullfrog9@xxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Feb 29, 2012 1:14 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The World Champion of Classical Harmonica...

Well...I don't mean this in a BAD way, but I saw something on T.V. where there
were 3 judges. Two were in the music world and the third one was Howie Mandell.
Now I don't know if they chose him because he was a famous comic and had name
recognition, OR if he was chosen to be the same thing I am on harp-l (i.e.
comedy relief), lolol.  But my first question was:...... Whaaaa?

Exmple. There had been times when I heard someone at a festival whom had been
touted (sometimes for years) as this great player. Maybe because they once
played with so and so or such and such band. They had also been a judge on
various competitions. They also had lesson plans and/or teaching videos.
Frankly, they didn't show me stugatso. YET, every time I go to a fest I find ONE
player who sticks out like a lead zeppelin. Virtually unknown and yet sooooooo
much heart.

AND since this is one of the topics that periodically pops up in rotation (I
think it's thread # 193), I have heard that a great player isn't necessarily a
good teacher. To this I agree. I know people whom wouldn't know where to begin.
On the quadruped of a different tint vein, I have heard that a great teacher
isn't necessarily a good player. To this I disagree. How do you expect to teach
the advanced nuances if you yourself can't DO them? Am I to assume that you are
so good at verbalization that you can speak and everyone suddenly miraculously
connects with your brain like some sort of Svengali, OR that you lay a hand on
their shoulder and they absorb your thought neurons via some sort of osmosis.

Sall I'm sane

smokey-joe

On Feb 29, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Mike Rogers wrote:

> Good point.  I recently experienced a blues competition, where one of the
judges brought a friend to advise her, as she wasn't familiar with the blues.
But she wrote for a magazine.  Go figure.  I usually avoid competitions, lik the
plague.

> Bullfrog
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Leone" <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>

best in the world. It's just that THEY happened to show up and were the best
that day. It is possible for the best in the world to have NOT shown up OR
didn't know about it OR wasn't interested.  Example: the competition in
Trossingen Germany (where I believe this was held) has competitions every 2
years. My problem is that I have seen times in the past where the judges didn't
impress me. I have seen occasions where the judges were not as good as the
contestants. Such is the situation with judges and why I would never engage in
such a contest....................... Not that I ever could..here's where you
laugh.

>> smo-joe
>>
>> On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Marc Molino wrote:
>>

>>> I've never heard of Susan Sauter, but apparently she is the World Champion
of Classical Harmonica.. Who determines this title?