 From: "burket@xxxxxxx" <burket@xxxxxxx>
To: slyou65@xxxxxxxxx; gnarlyheman@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:12 PM
Subject: part 2.    Subject: Re: [Harp-L] solo vocal and 14 hole marine  (cc to gnarly)

Hi Larry and Gnarly:

Funny thing for me too ! :)

In my excitement to see someone else who has a hankering for customizing these harmonicas, I didn't see your reply in the digest to Gnarly's post before I sent my last email. I would welcome any other insights either of you have for taming these leaky beasts. The 365 seems to be preferable because the shape of the cover plates is pretty darn comfortable.

I've been doing similar with finding them on eBay, usually almost like new, and very cheap..
Quality does vary though, and I have come across a couple of duds. Similar to playing a post Hicksville era Marine Band (the ones w/ Two Nail Holes on the draw plate between the outside reeds instead of 3).
Compared to a current MB or Hicksville vintage. I guess there is no way to know aside for playing them.

Since you have had issues with solder to lower pitch, would you be so brave as to make a low A out of a C
just by removing reed material? Three half steps makes me worry about reed stability. I saw some good info Gnarly had posted on Slidemiester regarding soldering and went out and got some of the low lead kind from Radio Shack yesterday.

I've put a couple custom combs on 364's and they look sharp and help the seal. I'm wondering if its worth the time to emboss?

I'm fairly new to Harp-L and Slidmeister, but I really enjoy the community and wealth of information and talent on the lists.

Thanks for you time and consideration.

Burke T.
Open Door Productions

www.opendoorprod.com