Re: [Harp-L] Reducing microphone noise on chromatic

Hi Neil -

It is a common problem. I don't own a fireball, but in my experience a windshield won't help much, unless it were so thick that it would have a severe effect on the high frequencies, which effect the entire range of the harmonica (not just the hight notes). So, there are tradeoffs:

1) Since it takes less air to play the high notes, locate the mic on the high end of the harmonica. Unfortunately, this will tend to emphasize the high notes (something you indicated you were trying to avoid).

2) Locate the mic at the low end, emphasizing the low notes, but play with less air when your mouth is in line with the mic. This is what I do. If you're playing with other musicians or backing tracks, you can use more breath when you need the volume and you may not notice the wind noise in that situation.

If anyone has a better suggestion, that would be great, as this is something I struggle with as well.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com