Re: [Harp-L] Reducing microphone noise on chromatic

Neil,

Jerry Murad used to lay his hand flat along the top of the harmonica, which
diverted breathe noises from his nose from being picked up by the
microphone.  Instead of a ball-type mic as is the Audix Fireball V, Jerry
used Shure 300/315/330 series Ribbon Mics.  In modifying the mic for chest
plate mounting, he turned the element so that it was horizontal instead of
vertical.  While this modification was superb for picking up the harmonica,
I think that it also increased the susceptibility to breathing noise.  That
being said, I think Jerry's hand position functioned to divert air streams
which came from his nose.

I use this same technique whether I'm playing diatonic or chromatic, either
on my chest mount ribbon mic, or a ball-type mic on a stand.  Of course
when I hold the ball-type mic in my hand, my hand is already in position to
divert the breathing noise.

Best wishes to you!
George Miklas, former member of Jerry Murad's HARMONICATS