Re: [Harp-L] Re: self promotion (one way)

I play sometimes with a friend here in town. She's a serious up and coming singer-songwriter folk performer. She landed a gig last night at a monthly "words and music" event and would be playing with two other musicians, one of whom, a bass player, is a legend in the local blues scene. I've played gigs with my friend before, we support and encourage each other. I sent her a note on FB a day before the event and simply and very specifically offered to accompany her if she had any particular songs in mind that she wanted harp on. She was delighted by my offer, and I played one song with her and her impromptu band last night. It went down very well. I was applauded and the bass player gave me an approving smile before I left the stage.

I arrived, unfortunately, just after my friend's sound check, but I made a point of talking to the soundman who set up a mic on stage for me before we went up and who quickly adjusted my sound as the song began.

I got into a cool event with a variety of talented performers; I got to play, and to play with my friend; I was heard; I also made a couple of contacts.

I had offered to play on one or two songs; I played on one and had a great night. Sometimes you have to take a bit of initiative, but it helps to be courteous and to leave the door open to being refused.

Other things I'm doing: teaching; getting out to bluegrass / old-time jams (am loving this stuff); accepting invitations and opportunities as they arise; seeking opportunities as well -- will be doing a solo acoustic (harp and singing) retirement home gig this week. A friend slipped me a Craigslist ad about a band coming to town looking for a harp player to help out with a recording. I answered and followed up and looks like I'll be laying down a track with them next month.

John