Subject: [Harp-L] Advice on learning to play chromatic

I don't wish to have any argument with a pro like George who plays
multi-types of harmonicas far better than I could ever do, but a chromatic
certainly was a self-taught instrument for me.

In fact nearly everyone I meet up with in real life who plays a chromatic
and at Harmonica Conventions such as SPAH and the Garden State Harmonica
Festival admits to beginning on the instrument when young and noodling with it
 on their own. In my case I was probably around 7 years old after beginning
on a  tremolo at age 4. There were no teachers - I had no musical
background. I played  by ear because there simply was no other way for me to do it.
Still do, in fact.  Some of the best players I know are self-taught and play
by ear. It really does  depend on what type of music you want to focus on.
For classical, I think  there's no question you'd want and require a good
teacher. I don't play  classical.

Since I gave up playing harmonica for a very long time coming back to it
only a few short years ago, I'm hardly an expert and will be perfectly
comfortable remaining an amateur. For someone wishing to go further with the
instrument a teacher IS highly recommended but no one should be scared off a
chromatic thinking it's impossible to play unless and until a teacher is
available since there is a ton of teaching info out there too: YouTube videos,
Mel Bay books and Hal Leonard play along CD/books (for example). I wish I'd
had  even a fraction of this information when I first began playing. Imho
there's no  such thing as too much information about something you wish to
learn.

If you already play a diatonic (you haven't said..I wasn't sure if you were
 including a diatonic in your 'playing no instruments'), you might find it
fairly  easy to transpose your ability to a chromatic.

There are people who teach via skype or over the telephone; many times
local musicians in one's area who would be only too happy to give lessons -
perhaps an ad in a local paper or library might find them? But to be frank,
I'd  suggest you look into Slidemeister.org/forums since it's the chromatic
website  sister site of Harp-l set up purely for chromatic players (at least
that's how I  think of it). I belong to both.

Much advice is available there, quite a few of the same people post on both
 lists (but not enough): discussions pro and con re every style and type of
 chromatic abound and you just might find a willing teacher in your own
town.

Much luck

Elizabeth

"Message: 3