RE: [Harp-L] Chorus on a Sue Foley record

Buck worley wrote:
<DSL RotoSim is a great Leslie type chorus pedal. There are several other really great ones and some tone suckers <too so do your homework. In this forum there should be a lot of archived discussion.

This isn't going to be a surprise to anyone who's read my previous posts: I think the most cost-effective Leslie sim out there is found in the Digitech PR155/255/355.  The 255 and 355 have expression pedals built-in that allow you to control the speed of the rotary effect, and the basic quality of the effect is very strong.  You can find RP255s selling new for $125, and used for less than that; used RP250s are available for less than $100, and they have the same effects engine.

I performed last night at the Dressing Room in Westport CT with my RP355, and after my show, I jammed with several of the musicians in attendance.  One of them commented to me that the harp (with the leslie effect engaged) sounded like Garth Hudson with the Band, which is the desired response.  That leslie sim is one of my very favorite effects on the Digitech RPs.

A topnotch Leslie effect for less than $150 is a great deal all by itself, and of course the Digitechs do a lot of other stuff too.  Like I said, extremely cost-effective.

FYI, based on my last few gigs, I am now bringing my Peavey KB-2 keyboard amp with me to every gig.  I really enjoy having the amp right next to me, my playing is more audible to the other musicians onstage, feedback issues are more controllable, and if I need more grunt (which I haven't yet) I can always run a line from the KB-2 to the PA. Combined with the RP355 (or 255), this is a very portable setup with a huge range of amped up and clean tones and plenty of power, all in a package roughly the size and weight of a Fender Blues Jr. (and at a much lower price).

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick