[Harp-L] Douce Ambience, vraiment!

Sure it's been said, but I gott a chime in,about Dapper Dave Naiditch's latest and greatest "Douce Ambience, Gypsy Jazz Classics," just released this new year. I liked it so much I wrote a review! I've done my part, Now, go buy this album!

On this most recent release from the stylistically-diverse chromatic harmonica master David Naiditch, he comes out swinging in his quintet with a spritely accordionesque tone, then he doubles, for a sound like horns, and then, finally, gives soaring string-like runs a la Grappelli.

Suddenly Gonzalo Bergara comes in with a Django-esque cascade of guitar notes, above the Paris-cobblestone-solid solid rhythm section of Jeffrey Raidaichâs guitar and Brian Netzleyâs bass, and in that first song youâre transported to a âmanoucheâ jam at a smokey cafà in the 14th arrondisement of Paris! When Pat Cloudâs 5-string banjo chimes in to the mix, youâre now in the provinces, with sunflowers and fresh red wine. With slight and tasty detours to the âStates for some Gershwin, and to Spain for a bossa nova, one arrives finally at Gonzaloâs Castle, guitarist Bergaraâs stately, yet comfy-like-a- blanket, homage to the magical, cinematic world of Gypsy music. Itâs 2012, but it feels like a fresh day in 1936, what a treat!

The whole ensemble is spot on and at ease, but itâs the chromatic harmonica that really is at the core of this set. And although chromatic harp, in the hands of lesser players, can often sound like technical note-chasing, here Naiditchâs easy, animated chromatic brings life to old classics and a few newer originals. If this album hasnât put you in a âDouce Ambience,â check your pulse!

-Dave Fertig, Pasadena