[Harp-L] 3D printing: harmonicas

As one who is deeply involved in manufacturing harmonica parts I have looked
into 3D Printing.  Bottom line is that at this point it is little more than
a novelty.  First you have to create a 3D CAD design before you can make any
part - whether via 3D Printing or CNC milling.  If you have the
software/programming skills - great.   If not, you'll have to pay someone to
create the plan -which is what I do.  That is the biggest expense in having
a prototype make - unless you decide to add insult to injury by having your
prototype 3D Printed.  Generally speaking when you have a new part designed
at a CNC machine shop the price will include the production of a prototype.
Ultimately when you go into production mode - which is sorta the point isn't
it - to get the thing actually made in quantity - CNC milling is a vastly
superior process.  It is faster.  It is less expensive.  It is more precise.
You can choose from a wider variety of materials.  And the finished product
is superior.  It is, as they say, a no-brainer.  3D Printing is cool and if
what you want is a novelty item - have at it.  But if you want to produce a
real product at a cost that enables you to attract buyers and actually make
a profit, we're a long ways off from using 3D Printing - at least I am.

Just my 3 cents.

Tom Halchak

www.BlueMoonHarmonicas.com

=======