[Harp-L] Harmonica repair option?

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Sat Aug 4 13:39:05 EDT 2018

   Are the discontinued Hohner Koch harmonicas still repairable?  The 10
holed ones configured like a diatonic with a slide added.  If a reed goes
flat, is there a replacement still in production?  If a slide wears out, is
there a 10 hole slide still being made or a repairman able to modify a 12
hole slide to fit the mouthpiece?  If a comb cracks, does anyone make a
Lucite or Corian one that size?  Are the Koch parts interchangeable with
the 10 hole Chrometta harps currently being made?
   I've had an unused C Koch sitting in a drawer for about 40 years.  I
originally bought it to play blues in cross position, but I didn't like the
feel of it or the reduced volume.  So I shelved it.  A couple of months
ago, I dug it out again and re-purposed it as a way to get to the key of E
in 5th position.  Turned out to be a nice option for my blues playing.  I
play a lot of 5th anyway and a standard C diatonic is a little too high
pitched and the reeds a little too stiff to do what I want to do.  The low
C is too low, especially bending on the first couple of holes.  And the
SPAH blues jam circles have taught me that the lower the harp, the more
inaudible it is.  But the Koch is working for me.  I'm hoping I don't have
to hunt down a dozen of these harps and dispose of them like diatonics when
they wear out.  I'd like to know if there is a repair option available when
they break down.  Then I'd get a back up or two and rotate them when one
went down.
Anybody know anything about these?

Mick Zaklan