[Harp-L] R.Sleigh Teaching sessions at SPAH

Richard Sleigh rrsleigh@xxxxx
Fri Aug 9 14:37:33 EDT 2019

Hi Everyone,

If you are going to SPAH, please consider checking out the sessions I will
be doing:

Wed 1:00 - Essential Music Theory for Harp Players - This will focus on the
most practical info to focus on for solving the problems of playing
harmonica. It will be centered around the richter tuned diatonic harmonica,
and I will introduce a tool I developed for finding harp keys and positions
as well as transposing keys and analyzing chords.

Thursday, Friday & Saturday afternoon - Filisko Teach in:
I'll working out with anyone who wants to learn some great irish session
tunes. If you contact me offlist, I can send you some tabs & mp3s to get
you started

Saturday 10:45 AM - Hot Rod Your Harmonica -
This will be an in depth session on tuning, adjusting and tweaking harps
with a focus on diatonics but will also cover some tricks of the trade on
chromatics. I will be bringing my latest design of a harmonica light box
for viewing reeds in two critical perspectives and also demonstrate my
latest tools and how I use them.

One last thought - I always find the SPAH convention even more magical than
usual when I take the time to write down ahead of time what are my main
goals or questions I am trying to get answers for. I did this the first
time in 1984 when I went to SPAH - my quest was to find out what was really
going on when you bend notes and why it is so different from diatonic to
chromatic.

I ended up at the banquet sitting next to Cham-Ber Huang and somebody else
at the table asked my question for me before I had a chance to form the
words... Cham-Ber Huang proceeded to give us all at the table a concise and
complete explanation of what was going on. It blew my mind.

I've used the process again and again over the years to help steer me
through the chaos and energy of SPAH...

Hope to see you there!

--
Richard Sleigh