[Harp-L] New Tool and Method for Improving Harmonica Reed Response

Richard Trafford-Owen richard@xxxxx
Tue Jan 15 15:50:47 EST 2019

Thank you Brendan!

I have been trying to do something similar with a metallic Sharpie pen,
thinking that it might be a good substance for this purpose. Looks like you
have more confidence in your results than I do with mine, though.

Questions: I have been using it along the entire outline of the reed slot
to entirely replace embossing. Did you try that and conclude that partial
2/3 embossing was better?

Metallic pens can deposit a pretty thin layer, so I have tried painting the
inside edges of the reed slot. It was messy, but I want to continue trying.

To Vern, do you think that there could be other factors than technical
leakage? It seems plausible that reducing clearance between reed and slot
would affect reed dynamics in a positive way, even if overall leakage is
not significantly changed.