[Harp-L] gimmick

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Mon Aug 29 16:00:51 EDT 2022

   Let me say a few words about Bruce Chanel's "Hey Baby".  As a high
school kid, I have fond memories of listening to it on the radio and
jukeboxes.  It was one of the first tunes I remember liking that had a
harmonica featured prominently.  To me, it's a superior tune to "Love Me
Do".  I don't know that it "languishes in obscurity".  I usually hear it a
few times a year on oldies stations.  Several years ago, I was watching my
niece performing in maybe the most award-winning high school band in the
country, the Marian Catholic Marching Band from Chicago Heights, Illinois.
I was stunned to hear a hundred plus kids playing "Hey Baby",
harmonica lines and all.  A quick look on YouTube seems to show the tune is
a staple of  marching bands across the country.  Occasionally it pops up in
a movie soundtrack.  Most notably, "Dirty Dancing".

Mick Zaklan