[Harp-L] Re: Microphones (& maybe an amp)?

Rich writes:

<snip> I'm in search of a good acoustic setup. I think the key is the
microphone.

Blowing into the harp and hand techniques are 90% of my sound. Putting a mic
up close just distorts the heck out of it.  I need a mic and amp setup that
can reproduce this.

I use diatonics (Marine Bands) almost exclusively. I play a lot of folk,
country blues, and bluegrass. So I do a lot of chording with the some
steppin' out front during the breaks.

So I'm wondering if their are some experienced acoustic players out there
who might offer some suggestions.
_______________________
Hi Rich,

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, it appears you're looking to get a nice acoustic sound via a good vocal mic and <shudder> an amp.

Granted, the right microphone can make all the difference in the world, but if you're playing through an amp, it will always sound like, well, an amp.

You mentioned that you tried an SM-58 through the PA but had to really get on top of it for bass response... Hmmm... Part of the problem could be that the PA was cheesy? (Just guessing here.) Or maybe the channel you were playing through didn't have it's EQ optimally set for harp? You might try rolling the bass up to maybe 2 o'clock, the treble down to, say, 10 o'clock and adding some reverb (not digital delay.)

Another problem could be that you mentioned you like to play from a foot or so away. It's *very* difficult to get enough signal from that distance. Instead I'd respectfully suggest 5-6 inches might be better -- more gain, less chance of feedback, still plenty of room for hand-effects, and less chance of the mic picking up various background noises (not to mention the other instruments.)

I think you're on the right track, though, with a PA. Any good vocal mic should do the trick. If you have a tightish budget your SM-58 really should be OK, once you work out the kinks in the EQ and in the distance from which you play. If you want cleaner, I've had nothing but good luck from an AKG C 535 GB... but if you go that route, please be aware that your PA head will need "phantom power," and that this mic has no off-on switch. Wonderful mic, though, whether used for vocal, harp or acoustic guitar.

But the main consideration, IMHO, is that you'd be 100% better off through a PA than through any amp. A PA doesn't have to be that expensive... Yamaha makes a peach of a small PA head, and decent speakers are made by an array of makers. The only speakers I would recommend avoiding are the small Boses -- too much treble for my tastes. We use JBL wedge monitors as throw speakers for small to medium gigs, and they work fine.

Anyhow all the above just my humble opinion. Everybody has their own ideas of what constitutes "good" acoustic sound. Your mileage may vary. :)

cheers,

Tom Ball
Santa Barbara