RE: [Harp-L] Harp Cleaning

Apart from the hygiene aspect, I'm convinced that cleaning is good for the harps. When I get home from my session tonight I'll wash all my plastic and (non-valved) wood-combed harps under a warm tap then shake/tap out the excess water. They then stay out on a tray to dry off overnight. All those organic deposits on the reeds and plates, especially near the rivet ends of the reeds where muck gets trapped, will be removed before they dry on. Even if you play very clean, pure saliva contains mucous substances that remain as a deposit after drying. The harps will be in better tune because there will be no accretions on the reeds, and the reeds will respond as they ought to, without the encumbrance of non-metallic deposits either on them or in their line of travel. I've done this for years and I'll swear that the harps sound better once they're washed.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
http://harmonicapics.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Hear clips from my CD at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm