Re: [Harp-L] What? No bass player?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Neumann" <eneumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 2:11 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] What? No bass player?

Excuse the very weird question - but I am going to ask it anyhow.

Have any of you veterans heard of a blues band - that tries to emulate
Chess Records sounding blues groove - ever heard of a band doing that
kind of sound without using a bass player?

Or, I would like a few opinions on a blues band that only contains aw
front man (harp/vocals) 2 guitarists, and a drummer.

Or... Does anyone know of any band that only has 2 guitars, a drummer,
and a front man - and NO BASS PLAYER?

Let's just pretend this is a bar bet...

Hi,
That's the way Little Walter toured. To make that work, busy over playing musicians who can't play rhythm need not apply for that gig. I've done gigs this way and the two guitarists I used were not only good lead players, they were also EXCELLENT rhythm players, and one of them also did bass playing gigs, and it worked great!!! Hound Dog Taylor used to go out as trio with NO bass player and it worked well, as they could both easily do a bass line when not soloing. Everyone has to have a great sense of rhythm and groove to pull this off or it can be a disaster. If just ONE of those players tend to overplay and/or lacks rhythm chops, it ain't gonna happen, and there are TONS of musicians that don't.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com