Re: [Harp-L] rhythm playing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] rhythm playing

I think rhythm is the most inportant aspect to a person playing. this is the main reasons Jason Ricci's music is so effective. To my ear he's not really playing musical lines, instead he's playing rhythmic patterns. Howard Levy once a suggested to me to study drum patterns and paradiddles. I bought a beggining level drum book and leared the paradiddles in there. Then I branched off into ethnic drumming rhythms and patterns. At least for me, I noticed a huge improvement in my abilities after trying to be a drummer on my harmonica.

Check out these links:

http://www.rhythmweb.com/

http://www.drumrhythms.com/english/homeengl.htm

http://www.ancient-future.com/links/rhythms.html
Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com

Hi,
A lot of musicians who started out as drummers that I've met over the years often have really good time and sense of rhythm, often playing fewer notes with ohrasing that have a more rhythmic feel.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com