Re: [Harp-L] cheapo amp?

I would go for a valve amp over a solid state simply because in general they will give you a better sound that you can grow with as a player.
I would say go for something like an Epiphone Electar 10 Watt.
I have one and it's a perfect practice amp with bags of tonal variations that won't blow the roof off your house and annoy the neighbours, yet it's still loud enough to do small gigs with.

As for mics I would buy two get yourself a JT30 or a green Bullet and then get something like an SM57. Then you have the bullet for down and dirty blues stuff and the SM57 for the cleaner styles. Plus you can use the SM57 to mic up the Epiphone for larger gigs.

This kind of set up should last you a lifetime of playing.

The best way to find a good small valve amp is on ebay. That way you might get something better for less cash, you might even get a great vintage amp for a good price.

Paul