[Harp-L] Why use a delay pedal?

I've been playing for years without any effects using my beautiful '65
Fender Deluxe (alas, no reverb) but recently I've been thinking a lot about
gear and ways in which I can make my amplified sound better.  I'm pretty
happy with my acoustic sound so when I amp up I'm not unhappy with what I
hear.  However, it could be better.

So after reading Richard Hunter's information about how to create a Chicago
blues sound on a budget, I got to thinking.  Why do we need delay?  I've
never used it and I don't think I've ever missed it.  But it begs the
question...did the old time Chicago blues guys use delay in their amps?

I'm guessing (and I may be way wrong) that they didn't.  But maybe they got
natural delay by playing in clubs with hard walls that the sound bounced off
and echoed what they had just played.  So is that what we're trying to
achieve here?  I'd love to hear some thoughts from all you gear heads, sound
experts, and historians.

That all said, I can't wait for my first delay pedal to come to my door so I
can start messing around with it.

This is a fantastic list and I'm proud to be part of the community.

Robert G.