Re: [Harp-L] breaking in marine bands

Hi all,

I don't break harmonicas in. Never had, never felt the need to. Never
thought of a reason why. I am a precision mechanics technician and
naval architect/engineer, and have never heard of a reason or
explanation for breaking in. Mechanical clocks wich have brass reeds
are not broken in (AFAIK).

I do play usually gently, but do ocasionally bang the hell out of my
Hohners (like with an accoustic skiffle band live without
amplification). The harmonicas last a long time with me. They last a
very short time with a good friend of mine (a terrific harmonica
player).

I do adjust most of the harps for my style of playing, though. Usually
this only requires slightly lower gaps.

I mostly agree with Vern: wood swelling might close gaps, saliva
deposits close gaps, there might be an subjective effect of the
harmonica breaking the player in.

But if a player plays better after "breaking the harmonica in", it is
ok with me. I have learnt that there are several things which depend
on each player and their particularities, and I respect that.

On the other hand, breaking harmonicas in (as in playing softly for a
while) will not harm a harmonica (too much).

All the best,
Fernando