[Harp-L] Harp of choice

Hi Guys,
Here is my sixth penneth on the subject of what harps.

Originally, I used to play Hohner Proharps and subsequently Lee Oskars. Playing amplified gave me all manner of grief with feedback issues (yes those guitarists don`t turn down after soloing..!!) so, I created my own mics. This very quickly led onto the realisation that the mic capsules I was using were small enough to put in the harp and I experimented with the makes I was then using. Idea worked a dream and that led onto making my own harps with my own mould tooling etc. Thus was haRmonic Solutions born. I still make these harps and I love `em.

Recently, having supplied some of the bigger names I was lead down the wireless route for a variety of reasons and this has resulted in a completely new design of harp having a modular system to it. This is HARMONIX.

Front end has cartridge inserts. This means that to change key you just swap out one cartidge for another. It has a cost saving to the player in that each time you want a new harp/key you only now need to get a cartridge which is about half the price of a new instrument. Back end has choices too. In its basic form the harp has a dummy module fitted which is purely cosmetic so the harp just plays accoustically. However, if you want to go amplified, out comes the dummy and in its place goes one of two choices.

First choice is a module (EX1) with a mic and mini jack socket built in. Initially this employed the same system as the haRmonic Solutions harps and needed a belt pack preamp. However, this has been revamped and the circuitry is now in the module. No belt pack is required anymore. All that is needed is a guitar cable with a 1/4" jack connection to go straight to your amp or PA.

Second choice is a module (WX1) which has a UHF wireless transmitter built in. It comes complete with a matched receiver and mains power supply. This part of the project has been done in partnership with AKG and uses their miniaturised circuitry know how. Great company to work with..!!

It`s just amazing what frustration (playing with some folk who are oblivious to other musicians needs) can drive you to do..!! For me being amplified isn`t about being loud but, IS about being on a level playing field with the other instruments in the band. I don`t have any issues in this area anymore and at last there is some respect for the Harmonica.
I make this stuff full time now and it ain`t a job but a way of life. I was hoping to get to SPAH this year but I`m not sure now that I can, due to the pressure of work, as I`d love to show you guys where I`m at. So, second best... take a look at the website www.harmonix-harmonica.co.uk if you want to see the new HARMONIX stuff.

Incidently, I do also make wireless units to fit regular 48 & 64 chroms and there are some pics up on the site of this too, under "Other Products".

Harpin` on
Richard Smith (the English one).