Re: [Harp-L] sitting in

Rick, I completely agree about "horrible" reputation we enjoy among other
musicians. Recently, I was invited (by the band) to an invitation only, pro
jam at the Anaheim House of Blues.

I was called up on stage along with a guest guitar player. As I mounted the
stage, I was told that the guest guitarist "HATES" harp players. They
plugged me into the PA and the guitar player instructed the sound man to
turn my channel off until he gave the nod. I was sonically dead until my
break, and as soon as I finished my solo, I was turned off again. No
accompaniment, no fills, no finale.  That night I definately had to keep my
cool and be the bigger man. I really wanted to shove my mic somewhere
unpleasant. Heck I need an excuse to get myself a Thundermic anyhow.

What's maddening is that I didn't invite myself, I was invited. But the
guitar player's sentiment was a product of too many harp "players" who don't
take their craft as seriously as other musicians. Harps are cheap.

- GB