[Harp-L] Thanks for the Great Feedback! / thoughts on the Jazz jams situation

I appreciate all of the recent attention that I have been receiving here
from you harp-l folks. The responses to the two posted links that Tim M. set
up have been numerous and all positive! From both sides of the pond! The
blues jams at SPAH are so much fun to participate in. Maybe other links will
be posted of other players. I was only one of many blowin' their licks. The
relaxed atmosphere and being among so many friends really inspires all
players. Special thanks go out to Bubbles for his invitation beckoning me to
get inside his belly! I am sorry Bubbles but that seems like a very strange
place to enter..I'll pass :-)

http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/other/warrenB2Friday.mp3

http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/other/warrenBFriday.mp3

I do hope that all interested parties in the Jazz jams can "fix" things so
it becomes a similar experience to the blues jams. I do not want to speak
out of place but I will mention a few thoughts passing through my head: 1)
location of the room for the Jazz jams shouldn't be that important. I think
if the blues jams were in the boiler room it would still draw a crowd. If
the Jazz jams get "built" right they will come no matter where they are
located. 2) One of the great features of the blues jams is the lack of
ego's. It seems that all attitudes are left at the door before entering. I
get a vibe that this is not the case 100% with the Jazz situation. SPAH is
and should be about participation at all levels. Other than the shows and
seminars an "everybody plays" attitude is important. These jams are not
supposed to be showcases for the greats and a dream for the "growing"
players. Perhaps what would help is a separate " Jazz showcase event" for
the seasoned players and a real "blues jam feel" Jazz jam for the majority.
Again just my opinion.

I also want to add that perhaps a formal Bluegrass/county jam needs to be
added as well. Cara Cooke and friends really had a "happening" in the lobby
every night! Great stuff, low egos (from what I could see) and a lot of
interest from both players and "watchers".

One challenge in all of this is the number of hours in a day and only 4
days. One other thing that could help fill these events up would be if we
could raise attendance levels in the future. I am contemplating looking into
promoting a chartered bus trip to Milwaukee next year  from here by me in
metro NY.  A "Magic Bus" of harp players jamming along the highway making
the 4 day convention a week long "event" might be of interest to some. If
the math works out it could also put things in the price range to make it
more affordable than in years past. Any feed back on this idea will be
appreciated. Perhaps others around other metro areas would want to do it as
well.

Warren Bee