Re: [Harp-L] intonation and such

Hi,

I really enjoyed Jonathan's analysis of this
thread, and have learned a ~lot~ from the various
contributors on OBs, tonality etc. Thanks for the
lively discussion!

As a novice OB'er, my opinion in this area doesn't
count for much, but I really like the OB sound in
certain contexts, especially blues contexts (big
surprize, huh?). I love the expressiveness OBs
bring to certain music and that's why I'm learning
to hit them, and even bend them some.

However, for gaining consistent intonation on all
notes, I think the best answer will always be the
chromatic harmonica. For fluid runs of equal
intonation, it can't be beat. In some musical
contexts, however, the chromatic harp falls flat
(IMO). That even tonality isn't always the best
answer.

Jonathan and others are right-on to suggest that
you need to choose when/where to incorporate the
OBs. I'd further suggest that one should choose
when/where to simply turn to the chromatic.

Michael Peloquin is a marvelous advocate for both
instruments and seems to know exactly when each is
best suited for a particular melody. That would be
my ultimate goal as well... though I have miles to
go yet on both axes.

My 2 cents.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.