Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Entertainment

Vern writes (Snipped):

"You are correct that the music and
the entertainment value must  carry the performance.

IMO, you must have vocals more than 50% of  the program.  All instrumentals,
no matter how good, will have  them yawning and heading for the door.

Vern"

...and this isn't to pick on you, Vern...and isn't particularly  harmonica
related, but your last statement is so alien to my experiences  as someone who
regularly attends instrumental performances, I can't help  but comment.   One
of my favorite people to see in Concert is  Jazz guitarist Peter White...who
stops by my area once or twice a  year....I just saw him in July on his 'Guitars
and  Saxes' tour with 3 other top instrumentalists (Gerald Albright, Richard
Elliot and Jeff Golub), but I usually go to see Peter when he's touring  with
his backup band and a guest saxophonist.  There are practically  no vocals
during the show...just an occasional sing-along from the  audience when they
cover a well-known song...and usually one song covered  by a vocalist.  From this
last show, their back-up bassist did "Papa  was a Rolling Stone" to great
reaction from the audience.  Peter writes new instrumentals that simply don't
have  vocals.....so what is it that keeps HIS audiences  coming back...for two
full shows a night...and packing the venue  months in advance?  The total
musicality of it...the wonderful  performance he puts on...and how incredibly good a
guitarist he  is.  He "sings" through his guitar and his body...and the
audience is  mesmerized.  I don't care if there's no actual singing....if the
music is beautiful enough, so I have to disagree with that much of your
post...not a single audience member has ever "yawned and headed  for the door"....as a
matter of fact they're lined up afterwards for  a good hour+  waiting to talk
to Peter, buy his CD's (I have  everything he's ever recorded) and chat with
him while taking  photos.

Now as for Jason Ricci's shows...I thoroughly enjoy when HE  sings...because
I love his voice....and I wish he'd do more...so I do  love vocals from those
who can combine the two, but it isn't  necessary if the performer doesn't
sing, and is a good enough  instrumentalist to hold his/her audience.

Elizabeth