Re: [Harp-L] Entertainment/ Muse (not exactly harp content...)

On Aug 28, 2006, at 7:37 PM, Slidelicks@xxxxxxx wrote:

I guess this is about following your muse. For me, adding vocals to my music
"waters it down". Maybe this is because my muse would rather hear pure
melody, rather than melody bastardized with lyrics. The vast majority of classical
music, jazz and fusion work this way.

Bastardized? As in, "1 [often as adj. ] ( bastardized) corrupt or debase (something such as a language or art form), typically by adding new elements : a strange, bastardized form of French. "That's a rather pejorative way of referring to a completely legitimate way of expressing music, don't you think? I rather suspect that voice was the first instrument humans played and from that perspective, one might argue the opposite is true, vis-a-vis instruments vs. voice.

If you will be in the Boston area on 9/7 at Noon, come to Copley Square and
hear my group play. The concert is put on by WCRB, and we won't be singing
one note. Let's see if the audience "walks out"... LOL

And to add a bit of levity to the discussion, how 'bout we link this thread to the sitting in thread? I live just south of Boston, what's the best way to approach you and your band about doing a couple of numbers? ;-)