From: bcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:53 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Dressing like a musician

As part of someone's advice on how to sit it with other musicians, the comment was made that one needed to "dress like a musician" to assist with the overall credibility of your request. This got me wondering? Especially because it often happens that before people hear me play they don't think I'm capable of authentic blues.

Just last month, I was at a jam session at Chan's in Rhode Island. I sing/front and blow harp. One of guys who played on my set was a regular from The Cadillac Horns, a well respected horn-centric roots band who said with genuine awe and affection, "When first looked at you, man. I thought you were an accountant or something. But man you got the blues." I laughed it off by saying how much I enjoy surprising people, which is true, but this isn't the first time I've heard that comment.

So first and foremost, how DOES one dress like a musician? It seems very disingenuous for me run out and buy a shark skin suit, snake skin shoes and slick back what's left of my hair. I'm even less likely to festoon my body with tattoos. And well, truth to tell, I've got enough trouble being my genuine self to work up an alter-ego complete with a cool blues nickname.

And beyond the specific question, it's very puzzling to me how the non-technical aspects of our performances really do affect how we're perceived and ultimately our success.

Bob Cohen