[Harp-L] All-Star Bay Area Blues Line Up for Curtis Salgado Benefit June 11

I'm working with some other volunteers in the SF Bay Area to put together a
benefit for Curtis Salgado who has been diagnosed with liver cancer.  For
all you Bay Area harp players, I hope you'll be able to come to the event at
the Mojo Lounge on June 11.  For all the rest of you fine harp players, we
have some items up for auction on our event website
www.bayareabluesbenefit.com.  Feel free to bid lots of money on the items.

We're hoping to get more items for both the auction and raffle.  If any of
you fine people have anything you'd like to donate to the cause, please send
an email my way.  CDs, signed harmonicas, CASH, trips...whatever of value we
can auction or raffle off would be appreciated.

Thanks very much everybody.  The press release is going out tonight and here
it is for your reading pleasure.

Regards,

Robert Gaustad

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Anita Fieldman
415-686-8841
anitafieldman@xxxxxxxxxxx

All-Star Bay Area Blues Line Up for Curtis Salgado Benefit June 11

Fremont, CA - May 8, 2006 - Kenny "Blue" Ray, one of the top blues
guitarists on the West coast, and a host of Bay Area blues greats are
teaming up with the Mojo Lounge in Fremont, California, for a benefit
concert on June 11 from 4pm - 10pm for Curtis Salgado, the Portland, Oregon
based singer-songwriter and harmonica idol, recently diagnosed with liver
cancer.

Along with the Kenny Blue Ray Band, performers include harmonica aces R.J.
Mischo and Mark Hummel; the very popular guitarists/vocalists Steve Freund
and Daniel Castro; along with many drop-in musical guests.  This is an
all-volunteer event with 100% of the proceeds going to the recently created
Curtis Salgado fund at the US Bank in Hillsboro, Oregon.

Salgado, born and raised in Eugene, Oregon, is considered the inspiration
for John Belushi's Joliet Jake character in the original Blues Brothers
movie.  The story goes that Belushi, in Eugene filming National Lampoon's
Animal House, went to the Eugene Hotel to listen to Salgado play the blues.
Not a big blues fan prior to this, Belushi found a new love of the genre
after hearing Salgado play and speaking with him for hours after the show.
Belushi not only patterned his character after Salgado, including the dark
glasses and soul patch, he also dedicated the first Blues Brothers album to
him.

Salgado has a remarkable solo career combining singing, songwriting and
blazing harmonica.  He has also performed with Roomful of Blues, The Robert
Cray Band, and Santana, among many others.

In a recent announcement, the 52-year-old Salgado, said, "I am fortunate to
be under the care of an incredible team of doctors and nurses and am
inspired by the courageous people that have faced this fight before me.  I
am also extremely grateful for the overwhelming support from my family and
friends."

Kenny "Blue" Ray, who organized and is headlining the benefit, is a blues
veteran of 35 years whose pedigree includes recording and appearing with
artists such as William Clarke, Little Charlie and The Nightcats, Charlie
Musselwhite, Smokey Wilson, Albert Collins, and Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Ray has
appeared on 40 cds and albums since he began his music career.

In a request to blues fans all over the Bay Area, Ray said, "Come out and
help support one of the true princes of the Blues, Mr. Curtis Salgado, down
at The Mojo Lounge, June 11th 4pm-10pm".  Dennis Briggs, the owner of the
Mojo Lounge, who is donating the use of the venue and the ticket sales to
the event, added, "It's great to see musicians of this caliber coming
together to assist one of their own.  I'm only too happy to do my small part
to help with this event."

Curtis Salgado has touched many people with his music, and it has compelled
many musicians and blues lovers to give something back to a bluesman in
need.  In addition to the Mojo Lounge, The McDonald Theatre, in Eugene,
Oregon will hold a benefit on May 28, presented by Stand Up Productions.

Tickets for the Mojo Lounge concert are priced at only $15, but since this
is a benefit by top ranked musicians, donations are encouraged.  In addition
to the music, there will be a raffle and auction with all proceeds going to
the Curtis Salgado Fund.  Sponsors are being sought to help defray costs and
raise more funds.   The current auction items, which may be bid on at the
event website (www.bayareabluesbenefit.com) or live at the Mojo Lounge
during the event, include a 1985 Yamaha SBG-200 guitar, in mint condition,
donated by Carl "Pork Pie Phillips" Ontis and signed by the benefit
musicians; Pinot Noir wine donated by Papapietro-Perry winery; and the
Ultimate Blues Lovers Package that includes CDs from blues artists, rare
blues photos, tickets to local blues festivals, signed t-shirts, beer and
wine glasses, and more, donated by the Bay Area Blues Society.

In addition to Kenny "Blue" Ray as host of the benefit, the master of
ceremonies will be Joel Fritz, also known as Barrelhouse Solly, a popular
local harmonica player and singer.  Solly's powerful voice, stage presence,
and sense of humor will go a long way toward helping to sell raffle tickets
and build up bidding during the auction.

For more information about the event, the artists who will be performing,
and the auction items, go to www.bayareabluesbenefit.com.  Businesses and
individuals who would like to contribute funds or auction and raffle items
are encouraged to contact Bruce Todd at sponsorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or 415-298-0929.  Media contact is Anita Fieldman at 415-686-8841 or
anitafieldman@xxxxxxxxxxxx  For more information about the Curtis Salgado
fund at US Bank, go to http://www.curtissalgado.com/liverCancer.html.

###