[Harp-L] Re: names

Congrats on getting your new harp off the ground in fine fashion, Tim... 'any publicity is good, and all that.' At least, you're in control of your own destiny. Seydel has not dealt with me production-wise at all yet... [But, they will.]

And "Journeyman" says a lot more to me than I've seen expressed here in an relative sense, IMO. 'Journey' is a word going back as far as the 1200's, referring to 'a day's travel', leading eventually to 'journeyman' which meant 'one who works by day' [1424] or 'one who does a day's work.' I will bet, though, that a LOT of your harmonica work is done in wee hours of the night as well!! ;) So, one may take the product of a journeyman's work onto a personal musical journey of one's own. Works for me. How does it go? A journey of a 1,000 miles begins with one step... or, maybe one of Tim's customized harmonicas?? :)

At 11:02 AM 5/22/2006, Tim Moyer wrote:
Jonathan Ross wrote:
> Tim Moyer wrote:
>> "I wish now that you'd submitted an entry, Jonathan, so
>> I could see what you would consider a good name."

It was I who named the "Renaissance", and I thought to submit for yours; "The Apprentice" or "The Blue Caller" [sic - ho!ho!], but one might have incurred the wrath of Donald Trump, and the other was a pretty silly play on words. What can I say? [After all... I would have suggested "Buddha Bing!" for Chris's band.]

I don't really think "custom Marine Band" describes this model.  I
prefer the term "customized" to "custom" for these harmonicas that
are built to a pre-determined specification, and don't allow the
individual to choose tunings, intonations, action, etc., as they can
with my higher-end models.  I consider my T-Bone, Honeycomb and
Soloists to be "custom" harmonicas, the Artisan and Journeyman to
be "customized".

Makes sense to me, too. In fact, I think it's wise to avoid using the major manufacturer's name in any title you give your instrument in order to avoid legal action by the company. We used Hohner reedplates in our instrument, but called it "The Renaissance" and not "Customized Mellow Tone" or some such. Still, we always gave credit to Hohner for their reedplates, which we preferred over any others we tried, and we made sure to personally consult Hohner on how they felt about our desire to build our harmonica 'using' their reedplates, to avoid any possible conflict.

This just shows common sense and common courtesy, to my mind.

There's no real value in engaging in a debate about Jonarthan's
taste in names here; he's certainly allowed to like or dislike
whatever he wants.

True, but, it is your choice of name being criticized, so to me, it seems your right to respond as you see fit. [Luckily, it's such a good guy as Jonathan is to bandy with, eh?!] ;)

As a business owner, though, having a model name helps me to
identify, brand and market a particular product.

My point made exactly.

Hope to get around to trying some of your harps someday, Tim... I am well assured by many how good they are! Much continued success with them!!!

Oh, OT: As for naming cars... ;) My first was a brown Chevy Malibu named "Copper Kettle", another copper-colored Dodge van, called "Clyde" [as in my 'camel'], my aging and ailing '83 Chevy van, "Clementine" [who's 'come around' quite a few mountains and a couple harpfests,] and my current escort that I drove to the Heart of the South harpfest in Birmingham a week ago, a 2000 Honda CR-V, that I've dubbed "Gypsy". I tend to name LOTS of things... from machines to figurines!

But, strangely... only one harmonica. ;)

Harmonihugs!
Bobbie