Re: [Harp-L] Jazz standards on the Diatonic

Don't forget "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". Dan Axt
----- Original Message ----- From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jazz standards on the Diatonic

Well, from the Ellington songbook, you could include:

Mood Indigo (first theme, second position requires an overblow)

The Mooche (third position w/o an OBs)

Creole Love call (both melody and countermelody)

East St.Louis Toodle-oo (third position)

Black & Tan Fantasy

C-Jam Blues (nearly any position)

Things Ain't what they Used to Be

It Don't Mean a Thing (if it ain't got that swing)

For further explorations, you could go by bandleader (Basie, Goodman,
Cab Calloway, Lunceford, etc.) and/or by composer (Gershwin, Cole
Porter, etc.) and also bring into more recent times with people like
Michel Legrand, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis, etc.

Winslow

--- James <wasabileo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I starting compiling a list of jazz tunes (standards) you can play on
the diatonic. I recognize that this list is limited by the technique
of the player and many of you can overblow quite proficiency hence
many more doors are open to you.

Here it goes:
Autumn Leaves
Lullaby of Birdland