[Harp-L] Re: reedplate covers

Glenn,

  All the old Hohners I've seen  from the 1930s up until a few years ago used nickel-plated steel, it was a thin plate of nickel alloy and doesn't always keep the steel from rusting. As far as I know, they are using chromium plated steel now. I've got one Marine Band from around 2000, I actually removed all the plating and polished the steel. I don't doubt that some are brass, but I've not seen a Hohner or every day run of the mill harp that didn't have a steel coverplate. I'm assuming, and only assuming, that nickel plating steel was a cheaper way to make a harp that didn't rust inside the box. Victorinox has been making stainless steel since the first Marine Bands, so it definitely was available to Hohner, but likely far cheaper for Hohner to use nickel alloy, but I have no idea what all is in that alloy. I doubt its anything close to pure nickel. The prewar Seydels I've seen also appear to be made out of the same stuff.
  Keep in mind, my experience is all with German harps and to some extent, U.S.-made harps.

  Dave Payne Sr.