  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: rlaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:42 AM
  Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: 7-10/ Now - Harmonica players as sidemen

  Bob writes (major snip):

  "I am of the opinion that harmonica has a great place as a supportive
  instrument. As far as I'm concerned, the jury's out on whether it belongs in
  "the lead". What DOES belong "in the lead", is the music, the groove, the
  mood, the feeling, not just the notes."

  .Of  course you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but coming from a harmonica player, this statement just floors me.

  ....taking the risk that you're 'just kidding' again, surely you canNOT be serious?  Would you tell Toots Thielemans that all these years he's been mistakenly 'playing lead', and belongs only as a sideman?

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalSofa7KDQ

  is his playing here any different whatsoever than something a sax or trumpet player would do....as the 'lead'?

  ...and he seems quite able to play the guitar lines along with Jaco....which is what helps makes this clip so incredible...I could put a dozen clips of his playing here, all good, better, best of this man playing lead.

  ...or Robert Bonfiglio for that matter? - playing LEAD with orchestras worldwide?

  (there are no YouTube videos of Robert...but I have all of his CD's...and his playing lead not just on classical tunes, but on so many of the songs I grew up on and loved, is what turned me on to his music)....

  or Charlie McCoy?

  have you heard Orange Blossom Special played his way?  Is that a 'sideman' style?

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEhXc-z7D4

  and this isn't an 'old' clip...it's taken from one of his trips to Japan in 2004..where he shows he ain't lost a thing...still has that swing ;)  Charlie played this, his signature song just as incredibly well at SPAH in ...2005(?)...as well as Shenandoah..and so many other beautifully played and moving songs, as lead...with his back-up band.

  sheesh...   ;)

  or were you only talking about harmonica players who focus on Blues?

  Perhaps part of the problem is that too many beginning blues harmonica players focus only on learning 'riffs' the way their heroes did...don't want to actually learn to play full songs..or instrumental pieces from beginning to end.  If one asks them to actually play a song..they're lost.

  One can only be a lead if you can get up there and either sing or play an instrument (any instrument),  taking a song or instrumental from beginning to end. Most chromatic players do just that...as do most of the Country music players I've heard...and perhaps therein lies the disparity....and why the Blues (and Blues/Rock) players who DO do that stand out so much from the crowd.

  Elizabeth

  Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.