RE: [Harp-L] "Authentic" pronunciation?

Artie Traum was half of a musical act with his brother Happy. Somewhere in the middle of a 40 year career they got a deal on Capitol and had a couple of records out. The records didn't sell well in the States, but Artie told me that they developed a following in Japan.

He had a copy of a Japanese band that basically made exact copies of Happy and Artie's records. I don't know if they sang in English or Japanese, but the tracks were precise copies of the Capitol tracks - including the mistakes. They didn't know was intentional and what wasn't, so they copied everything precisely.

It's kind of silly and it's also kind of moving.

Hearing non-Americans trying to do an American pronunciation is not a turnoff to me, though I must admit to absolutely never seeking out the music of, say, Italian blues bands. Unless a band has something new to say, I'd rather hear the original.

What absolutely kills a record for me is to hear a white American band playing well in the first few bars, followed by a white singer who tries to use English like a Black Mississippi man from 1930. I get the same feeling when I hear those horrible old Amos and Andy radio shows from the 1930's.

I run away screaming, often leaving a Deifik-shaped hole in the drywall.