[Harp-L] Entertainment

From: "Chris Michalek"
<< I'll never forget the time John Kally sat in on one of my shows. Technically, I'm way ahead of him but he won the crowd with his energy and emotion. That's what people hear not the virtuosity. Despite my skill John Kally was the better musician because he moved the audience and THAT my friends, is what entertaining is about.>>

A related tale from my past with a few sour grapes. I was a close-up magician. My act was highly technical (thousands of hours in the woodshed) and had evolved over years into a coherent and entertaining act. I performed in the lobby of a venue for people coming in to see a group of stage magicians.

One of them lost his assistant and a few days before the show, asked my wife to be his assistant. Good idea, she was a stunningly beautiful, Thai (exotic back in those days and parts) who looked quite magical. His act was not at all technically difficult, but he had a fine stage presence, big effects, good props/equipment, and my svelte and agile wife who hauled the freight.

Here's the sad truth, and the sour grapes. Which were people talking about when they left the show? You know the answer. Since the audience didn't know how any of it was done, they had no way of knowing who's act took the most skill, and work. Entertainment is king.

If you get up in front of an audience and play some complex jazz or classical music, it is a given that they expect you to be able to play it well. The fact that it isn't supposed to be possible to play it on a diatonic harp and took you years in the woodshed to accomplish it means nothing to all but a few of them. If they come back to hear you a second time, or tell their friends that "you've just got to go hear ...", they were moved and entertained, not just impressed.

Peace and music,
Dave