  From: Pierre
  To: chris smith ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2006 2:55 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The best Stevie - overated perhaps

  I used to be a big fan of Stevie, but I'm starting to think he is overated.
  His early successes were awesome, no doubt there. But over the last few
  years I have heard him play on other people's CDs and no matter what they
  play (latin, jazz) all he does on these sides sounds like blues. It's not
  bad, he is talented, but it's really not that great. I think Stevie is great
  compositionally and with learned pieces, but improvising is not his strong
  suite. We've all seen great improvisers an he is not one of them. Think of
  Norton Bufallo on that Bonnie Raitt tune, now that's a session.

  With respect to him being instanly recognizable, dosen't that mean he always
  sounds the same and thus has few tricks in his bag?

  Chris said:

  >Stevie is, he is ,alas, human and isn't better than everyone at everything.

  Yep, to be fair so is everybody

  Anyways for me, not the best as there are so many fine harp players and
  musicians who deserve more credit, but I admit some of his compositions
  certainly were the best,

  Pierre.

  PS: If there are any recent (last 20 years) tracks I should hear, let me
  know.