[Harp-L] windsaver problem

 Elizabeth wrote:

Windsavers that are arcing up on a 2-3 year old chromatic are relatively simple to curve back down by VERY gently smoothing (stroking) them over a rounded surface such as an orange stick  - which is how I do it...then 'pinching' them slightly longitudinally..... The valves are two-part...the top transparent layer is a very thin plastic material designed to act as a 'spring'.

 Thanks!  I almost wrote back asking what is an orange stick, but I asked my GF - she told me that it's a tool used on fingernail cuticles.
  I certainly agree that it behooves everyone to learn to maintain theirinstruments.  But this particular case the guy is an elderly gent, abeginner, and does not have a computer.
  Question 1: Are ultra-suede valves also 2 part?
  Question 2 - Is there any preventative maintenance that can be done that can eliminate this arching in the future?
ron